Happy holidays! Let’s explore Watamu, one of the most beautiful islands at the Kenyan Coastline. I’ll be your tour guide to make your holidays easier for you to achieve 2019 mind, body and soul detox!
Other than the famous Hemingways, Medinapalms and Turtlebay, we have other Beach Hotels, Resorts and beautiful Villas in Watamu some which are hidden gems, cost friendly and family friendly ranging from as low as Kshs. 3,500/- bed and breakfast to 10,000/- per night, offering beautiful experiences. Here are my top 10 on my list that I have personally visited.
- Jacaranda Beach Resort This was my recent getaway Beach Resort in Watamu located in Jacaranda Bay. It’s a very family friendly Beach Resort. Affordable with amazing customer service, food, beautiful private beach, spacious and recreational with Animators who offer entertainment for kids (toys) and guests.
- Se7en Islands – One of the best beach hotels I have stayed in Watamu. They have affordable rates with good customer service. Very family friendly with a playground for kids. Also, have a beautiful private beach offered with sun beds.
- Kobe Suite Resort – Offers a beautiful beach, hotel, amazing Burgers and food. Must try their Octopus Hummus ! Foodgasmic!
- Garoda Beach Resort – good for families. Has a breathtaking beach with Beach Maasai Vendors. Also offers Kitesurfing and watersports at JC Kitehouse in Garoda Beach Resort.
- Watamu Treehouse – good for couples retreat. It’s a beautiful unique hotel built within trees; Very ecofriendly. Famously known for Yoga and Watersports Excursions, breathtaking rooms with out of this world views; affordable ranging from Kshs. 8,000/- I wouldn’t advice to go with kids though or leave them unattended, due to the sophisticated structure of Watamu Treehouse.
- The One Watamu – beautiful Beach Resort to visit with friends and couples.
- Crystal Bay Resort – Offers quality holiday home stays and a beautiful swimming pool with a breathtaking beach restaurant. Located next to Paparemo.
- Lilly Palm Resort – Mapango. It’s an affordable stay with average rooms. Mapango Resort boasts a stunning swimming pool overlooking the sea. Beautiful views with a cool chill spot at their restaurant.
- Ocean Sports Resort – It’s a good affordable resort to chill with amazing seafood and cool chill spots. Well known for happy hours, water sports equipment rentals and whale watching excursions every August – October.
- Rock and Sea Bubble Beach Resort – This is an expensive stay but one of my favorite Beach Resort in Watamu. Located at Shortbeach near Kobe Suit Resort. A spectacular gem to stay in with a unique bubble setup Resort. Very pricey though, we’re talking Kshs. 20k lane. Perfect for honeymooners. However, you can also book to eat at their restaurant, swim and chill in their jacuzzi for the day as a couple or with friends and family at an affordable fee. Around Kshs. 2,500/- for lunch and Kshs. 1,500/- for Jacuzzi.
Villas and affordable places to stay in Watamu. Before I list down my personal choices, I would like to let you know that, you get the value of your money. Needless to say, these are the villas I have stayed in Watamu.
- Villa Isla Del Amore topping the list. Because I’ve had first hand experience staying for weeks without any complaints. Serenely located away from the town’s noise. Amore Villa is a quality and affordable 2-bedroom self-contained villa with a private swimming pool and compound. Affordable starting at Kshs. 8,500/- Perfect for family with kids and friends getaways.
- Watamu Beach Villa – Spacious beautiful private Beach Villa perfect for big families and a group of friends. Fully furnished with a swimming pool and beach view. I highly recommend.
- Blue Bay Cove – Beautiful spaces and spacious rooms with a lovely beach view and breeze. Equipped with a small pool that’s very safe for kids to swim. Perfect and spacious for big families and friends stays.
- Benvenuto Villa– Very affordable, with a shared swimming pool. Perfect for bachelors, young couples and friends who just want to have a decent place to sleep for the night.
- Peponi Apartments – Affordable villa from as low as Kshs. 3,500/- good for small families and friends, equipped with a swimming pool. located in Watamu village where everything is!
- Gecko Villa – An affordable average villa to stay in when you’re on a budget. From as low as Kshs. 3,500/- Offered with a shared pool and rooms. Good for families and friends stays.
- Serenti Villa – An affordable average villa offering a shared swimming pool and compound, good for bachelors, friends and small families stays.
- Watamu Beach Cottages – Perfect for families and friends with a swift access to the beach.
Fun things to do in Watamu while on your holiday stay:
- Visit Gede Ruins and Arabuko Sokoke National Park – This gives you a rich history and knowledge of Gede and get to see the ruins. Explore the butterfly farm, snake park and get to hold a snake!
- Visit Local Ocean Conservation and adopt a turtle. Experience turtle adoption by saving the turtles and learn about different endangered turtles species. It’s a selfless way to donate for turtles conservation so as to provide them succesful breeding grounds in our beaches. You can get lucky to watch turtles hatch their eggs.
- Visit Ecoworld Watamu Recycling Center – Explore innovative mind blowing creative wall art and curios made from recycling waste materials like plastics, flip flops, wine bottles, e.t.c. It’s educative too!
- Visit Bioken Snake Farm – explore snakes and get to learn more about snake conservation and different species of snakes – poisonous and non-poisonous. An interesting documentary!
- Eat at a Floating Restaurant In Crabshack Dabaso – a breeding ground for crabs, surrounded by mangroves, it is perfect for sundowners and scrumptious crunchy crab samosas – must try!
- Eat at affordable restaurants, which are Swahili Pot located in Watamu Town, Amici Italian Restaurant and Wasafi Restaurant which serves very affordable Swahili food, both located in Watamu Village.
- Snack on some Nyama Choma at Watamu Village street food. All sorts of meat grill including seafood. Octopus, beef, chicken served with salad, chips, tamarind sauce and tamarind juice / cold soft drinks.
- Homemade Italian Icecream and Pastries at Nonsolo Gelato Indulge in cold yummilicious Italian homemade Icecream perfect in this heat and delicious pastries served fresh!
- Shop For Souvenirs at the Shops Street in Watamu Village. Incase you’re wondering, Watamu Village starts from the Mars Petrol Station all the way towards Watamu Beach. That’s where all shops are. Kikoys, Maasai market, Touring Agencies, Supermarkets, pharmacies e.t.c.
- Paparemo Beach Party every Thursdays at Paparemo Beach Restaurant!
- Comeback and Savannah are the best clubs in Watamu for team parte after parte!
- Kitesurfing and Watersports Activities at JC Kitehouse Kitesurfing School in Garoda Beach Resort, where you can also rent water sports equipment at an affordable price.
- Book With Watamu Seafaris To Explore The Magical Islands In Watamu Sea Excursions: Safari Blue Sudi Island, Wakawaka Island, Robinson Crusoe Island and Sardenia Island. Experience boat rides, snorkeling, dolphin watching, aphrodisiac seafood, seafood beach grill, canoe rides in mangroves, starfish, and Giriama Culture.
- Relax Your Muscles at Lakshmi Spa. One of the most therapeutic and enchanting spas in Watamu which offers hydrotherapy.
- Visit Watamu kitengela Glass House which is next to Watamu Treehouse to view beautiful recycled glass art and construction. You can also book a night’s stay!
- You can also enjoy your stay eating and chilling at breathtaking private beach restaurants like Paparemo Beach Restaurant for amazing seafood and stunning white beaches. Also, Tamu Beach & Fusion Restaurant for lunch and drinks by the beach and sushi with your family and friends.
- Watamu Beach is a public beach I’d recommend if you’re on a budget. Perfect for hanging out with friends and family beach picnics.
- More stunning beaches to chill at are at Jacaranda Bay a few minutes from Watamu Village. My favorite being Luwa Beach where kitesurfing is offered by JC Kitehouse and Safina Beach. Jacaranda Bay offers stunning white sand and blue beaches. In my opinion, they are the most beautiful beaches in Watamu.
- Lichthaus Watamu located in Templepoint Resort Watamu. It’s a must visit 😍 perfect location for beautiful sunset watching whilst enjoying a cold drink and delicious meals with your friends, Mida creek spectacular mangrove views and unique net beds floating on water for ultimate relaxation.
Explore Watamu and enjoy an amazing holiday in Watamu! Happy Holidays!
LIVE | LOVE | LAUGH
Cheers Peaches! 🥂